What if you had to write something that was 1000 words, such as an article or a blog post? How many pages is 1000 words? The answer to that question depends on the medium of those 1000 words. Is it in a word document? Is it on a website? Is it for a college application?
People use Microsoft Word or Google Docs for all sorts of academic and business projects. The word counter in Microsoft Word shows how many words per page there are. The number of pages that 1000 words take up in Word depends on the font type, font size, spacing, margins, and paragraph structure. Here are some rudimentary calculations for 1000 words:
Two pages when the font type is Arial, the font size is 12pt, and it has single spacing.
Two pages when the font type is Calibri, the font size is 10pt, and it has double spacing.
Four pages when the font type is Times New Roman, the font size is 12pt, and it has double spacing. These are the common requirements for both high school and college writing.
Example Calculations of Words per Page
Let’s say a high school senior is applying for college. For a college application, they must write a 1000-word essay on a topic. The student uses a word counter to keep track of the number of words and pages. The page count depends on the college’s requirements regarding font size and type, margins, and spacing. In some cases, student's are required to write their college application essays by hand. In that instance, the number of words per page, and the number of pages for the total amount of 1000 words depends on the student’s handwriting. On average, however, a 1000-word essay would take 2–4 pages depending on the spacing guidelines.
What if you are typing up a 500-word blog post for a website. How many pages is 500 words? Well, if you type up the post in Microsoft Word or Google Docs beforehand, 500 words will roughly take up between 1–2 pages. On the actual website, it could take up a small section or the entire website page (so make sure you know which one you're going to use). The website's layout matters in this case, and determines the final look of the text. Using a program like Google Docs you can easily track your post's word count using their built in word/character count feature.
What if you had to write something that was 1500 words? Again, it depends on the factors already discussed: font type and size, spacing, margins, and paragraph structure. A rough page estimate for 1500 words in a document that uses 14pt Verdana font and 1.5 spacing would be about six and a half pages. If you change the font to Times New Roman, and the font size to 12pt, that 1500-word document is about four pages. So you can see the choice of typeface and size has a significant impact on page count.
How about 2000 words? Let’s say a high school student had to write a final paper for one of their classes. How many pages is 2000 words? In this case, the teacher just wants the text to be readable. Therefore, the student uses a typeface such as Verdana or Arial, at a 12pt size, and with double spacing. Using the same formula 2000 words takes up about seven pages.
Let’s say a college student needs to write a term paper for their history course. The required word count is 3000 words. The teacher makes the other following requirements:
Times New Roman font.
12pt font size.
Using our table the approximate page number is twelve pages. However, if the teacher also requires the same paper to have headings and subheadings, the page count will change. For this example, the main headings will have the Heading 1 format, and the subheadings will have Heading 2 format. Plus, the margins will be 0.5 inches on the right and left. When the student uses those additional settings on a 3000-word document typed in Microsoft Word, the total number of pages is 13.
Let’s say an aspiring writer is working on a story. Their goal is 10,000 words. For this example, the writer uses Google Docs. If the writer follows the typical manuscript format – 12pt Calibri font with double spacing – they will have a short story that is approximately 34 pages.
If that writer writes a 50,000-word novel, the total manuscript page count will be about 172 pages. However, that does not take into account the story being broken down into chapters or the use of line breaks. Therefore, the page count for one 50,000-word novel will very likely differ from the page count of another novel with the same word count since the book's layout will have to be taken into account.
Page Count is Subjective
For instance, a 20,000-word article in a magazine may only take up few pages, or it may take up ten pages due to advertisements. It depends on how the magazine is formatted. Another example is a children’s book with lots of pictures. The total word count can be around 500 words. However, those 500 words can take up to 20 pages due to large font size and the inclusion of pictures.
In conclusion, the number of pages for a certain amount of words depends on the font and size, margins, spacing, and paragraph structure. The final format of a piece of writing, whether it’s a printed Word document, a published book, a magazine article, or a page on a website, also matters. Page count is either just a required element of an academic or business assignment, or something to keep track of for personal reasons.
Get the latest in your inbox.
Signup to be the first to know when we publish updates, best-practices, tips and tricks.
The truth is there is no definitive answer to this question. The number of words it will take to fill a page will depend on a number of factors including the type of font used, the font size, spacing elements, the margins used on the paper, the paragraph length, etc. For example, if the assignment says the writing should be in 10-point font, it’s going to take a greater number of words to fill a page than if the assignment requires a 12-point font.
For those who need a general rule of thumb, a typical page which has 1-inch margins and is typed in 12 point font with standard spacing elements will be approximately 500 words when typed single spaced. For assignments that require double spacing, it would take approximately 250 words to fill the page. For an assignment that requires you to write four pages, you can make the estimation that you’ll need to write approximately 2000 words for a single spaced paper, or 1000 words if the assignment is double spaced. Again, the type of font used can make the word count higher or lower, but it’s a good rule of thumb for those who are simply looking for a general estimation.
Since there can be a large variation on the number of words needed to fill a page, most papers are no longer assigned by page count. They are instead assigned by word count. That is, an assignment, essay or paper will likely be assigned as 1500 – 2000 words rather than 3 – 4 pages. This way it is much more difficult for the writer to “game the system” by using large fonts and excessive spacing to meet the writing criteria.
If you are given a writing assignment with a page number, the best thing to do is go directly to the person who made the assignment and ask for a word count. This will take away all the variations and help ensure your writing assignment meets expectations. If it’s for something informal and you simply need a general guideline, you can find it below.
How many pages is…
The below list is an approximation, and actual pages will differ depending on a number of factors mentioned earlier in this article. Use the below information for a general reference, but don’t assume it will be the case at all times. Here are basic word to pages conversions:
- 500 words is 1 page single spaced, 2 pages double spaced.
- 1,000 words is 2 pages single spaced 4 pages double spaced.
- 1,500 words is 3 pages single spaced, 6 pages double spaced.
- 2,000 words is 4 pages single spaced, 8 pages double spaced.
- 2,500 words is 5 pages single spaced, 10 pages double spaced.
- 3,000 words is 6 pages single spaced, 12 pages double spaced.
- 4,000 words is 8 pages single spaced, 16 pages double spaced.
- 5,000 words is 10 pages single spaced, 20 pages double spaced.
- 7,500 words is 15 pages single spaced, 30 pages double spaced.
- 10,000 words is 20 pages single spaced, 40 pages double spaced.
- 20,000 words is 40 pages single spaced, 80 pages double spaced.
- 25,000 words is 50 pages single spaced, 100 pages double spaced.
- 30,000 words is 60 pages single spaced, 120 pages double spaced.
- 40,000 words is 80 pages single spaced, 160 pages double spaced.
- 50,000 words is 100 pages single spaced, 200 pages double spaced.
- 60,000 words is 120 pages single spaced, 240 pages double spaced.
- 70,000 words is 140 pages single spaced, 280 pages double spaced.
- 75,000 words is 150 pages single spaced, 300 pages double spaced.
- 80,000 words is 160 pages single spaced, 320 pages double spaced.
- 90,000 words is 180 pages single spaced, 360 pages double spaced.
- 100,000 words is 200 pages single spaced, 400 pages double spaced.
Below are basic pages to words conversions:
- 1 page is 500 words single spaced, 250 words double spaced.
- 2 pages is 1,000 words single spaced, 500 words double spaced.
- 3 pages is 1,500 words single spaced, 750 words double spaced.
- 4 pages is 2,000 words single spaced, 1,000 words double spaced.
- 5 pages is 2,500 words single spaced, 1,250 words double spaced.
- 6 pages is 3,000 words single spaced, 1,500 words double spaced.
- 7 pages is 3,500 words single spaced, 1,750 words double spaced.
- 8 pages is 4,000 words single spaced, 2,000 words double spaced.
- 9 pages is 4,500 words single spaced, 2,250 words double spaced.
- 10 pages is 5,000 words single spaced, 2,500 words double spaced.
- 15 pages is 7,500 words single spaced, 3,750 words double spaced.
- 20 pages is 10,000 words single spaced, 5,000 words double spaced.
- 25 pages is 12,500 words single spaced, 6,250 words double spaced.
- 30 pages is 15,000 words single spaced, 7,500 words double spaced.
- 40 pages is 20,000 words single spaced, 10,000 words double spaced.
- 50 pages is 25,000 words single spaced, 12,500 words double spaced.
- 60 pages is 30,000 words single spaced, 15,000 words double spaced.
- 70 pages is 35,000 words single spaced, 17,500 words double spaced.
- 75 pages is 37,500 words single spaced, 18,750 words double spaced.
- 80 pages is 40,000 words single spaced, 20,000 words double spaced.
- 90 pages is 45,000 words single spaced, 22,500 words double spaced.
- 100 pages is 50,000 words single spaced, 25,000 words double spaced.
(Photo courtesy of Horia Varlan)